This website will not be updated after 30 September 2014. Please go to the National Records of Scotland website
Click on image to return to General Register Office for Scotland - Homepage

You are in: HomeRegistrationRegistering a Stillbirth

Registering a Stillbirth

British Sign Language (BSL) Webclips

What if I have a Stillbirth?

Any stillbirth which occurs in Scotland must be registered within twenty-one days by the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages. The law allows a stillbirth to be registered in any registration district in Scotland. You can obtain the address of the local registrar from the hospital, the doctor, the telephone book (see under 'Registration of Births, Death and Marriages') and the Directory of Registrars in Scotland (172 Kb pdf file).
Get Acrobat Reader
The opening hours of registration offices varies between local authorities and some operate an appointments system.  You should therefore check with the relevant local authority before attending an office.

Who can Register a Stillbirth in Scotland?

A child's father or mother has a duty to register the stillbirth. In the case of the death or inability of the father or mother the following persons can register the stillbirth:

  • Any relative of the mother or father, if he is married to the mother, being a relative who has knowledge of the stillbirth;
  • The occupier of the premises in which the stillbirth, to the knowledge of that occupier, took place;
  • Any person present at the stillbirth;

A father who is not married to the mother can only register the stillbirth and be named in the register as the father if:

  • He jointly signs the register with the mother;
  • He and the mother sign declarations (these are available from the registrar) that he is the father; or
  • A court declares that he is the father and the mother registers the stillbirth.

What Documents should I take to the Registrar?

You should take with you:

  • The certificate of stillbirth;
  • The marriage certificate of the child's parents.

If no certificate of stillbirth is produced the registration may proceed after the informant has signed a form of declaration as to stillbirth.

When the registration is complete the registrar will give you, free of charge:

  • A certificate of registration of stillbirth for production to the person in charge of the burial ground or crematorium;
  • If one of the parents registers the stillbirth and requests it, an extract of the entry in the register.

What if the Stillbirth Occurs Abroad?

You should register the stillbirth according to local regulations in the country concerned and obtain a certificate of the stillbirth. There is no facility available to register the stillbirth with the British Consul in that country.

How do I obtain an extract from an entry in the Register of Still-Births?

Extracts of still-birth records from 1939 onwards are available from National Records of  Scotland for a fee. Due to the sensitive nature of still-birth registrations, these extracts are usually only issued to the parents of the still-born child.  However, siblings of still-born children may apply, either with the express consent of a parent, or on their own behalf, where they can demonstrate that their parents are no longer alive. 
Where no name was recorded for the still-born child at the time of registration, a name can be added at the request of the parents. It is not possible for siblings to request names to be added.

Application forms can be obtained from


General Registration Unit
National Records of Scotland
New Register House
3 West Register Street
EH1 3YT  

or by downloading the form at the link below  


(Link to Download Application Form)



Page last updated: 29 August 2013

If you have any comments about this website please use our contact form.

© Crown Copyright 2014