This website will not be updated after 30 September 2014. Please go to the National Records of Scotland website
Click on image to return to General Register Office for Scotland - Homepage

Getting Married in Scotland

I want to get married in Scotland. How do I go about it?

British Sign Language (BSL) Webclips

There is some paperwork to be completed, and you will need to book a place, date and time. You may find it useful to download the following documents about our requirements.

(Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format (pdf)): Get Acrobat Reader

The RM1 leaflet should answer most of your questions, but please bear in mind the following points:

  • Always telephone the selected local Registrar before filling in the Marriage Notice Application (Form M10).

  • If you want a civil rather than religious marriage (which includes other belief systems), the Registrar will be able to help you choose a day and time, and tell you what fees you are likely to pay.

  • It will also enable you to confirm what form of payment the Registrar can accept.

  • Both parties to the marriage should provide the Registrar with a postal address and a contact telephone number (and if possible, a fax number).

  • You must post (not email) the completed forms to arrive normally 4-6 weeks before the date of the proposed marriage and certainly no later than 15 days before.  You must include:

    • the questionnaire if you are submitting divorce or dissolution documents from outside the United Kingdom;
    • original or certified copies of documents provided by the issuing authority;
    • the Witness Details form (if you have chosen your witnesses);
    • the appropriate payment to the relevant local Registrar (not to the National Records of Scotland).  The registrar will not be able to accept forms without payment.
  • If you want a religious marriage (which includes other belief systems) the marriage schedule needs to be personally collected from the Registrar no more than seven days prior to the date of marriage during office hours.

    Are you subject to immigration controls?

    If you are a national of a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA), and Switzerland such as, for example, Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States etc., and you intend to visit Scotland to get married or to register a civil partnership, then you will need an entry clearance. The application form is available on the GOV.UK website.

    Other arrangements apply if you intend to come to the UK to get married, or have a civil partnership, and settle here - you should check the UK Visa website for more information about that.

    If you have any questions, contact the UK Border Agency Immigration Enquiry Bureau  (Tel no:  0870 606 7766) .

    Registrars have a statutory duty to report any marriage they suspect has been registered for the sole purpose of evading statutory immigration controls.

  • Page last updated: 25 August 2014

    If you have any comments about this website please use our contact form.

    © Crown Copyright 2014